A brief explanation of metadata

My Fellow Australians

This is a quick article to inform, not to scare you or allay your fears.

Metadata is data about data. That is information about information.  As an example lets look at this blog post, what meta data will be associated with this?

To post this I am a user registered with Google.  I have a Google ID, which most of you will also have, especially if you use gmail, waze, google drive, or anything similar.  Associated with this user account is a host of data about me.  I can ask google for this information by looking at https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard. This page is always good for a view.  This information is stored by Google, and is dafe from the Australian Government.  Although after a ruling against Microsoft recently this is demandable by the US government.  A body that I didn't elect, nor have any say over, nor can I sue them for my freedom of speech if they choose to remove it.

The computer I am typing this on has an identifying number - A MAC address (Machine Address Code)  This is not shared outside of my network.  My machines IP address is the address that I use to connect to my home wifi address.  That is allocated by my home router, and is controlled by me.  The router however is given its own IP address to connect to my Internet service provider.  That is the metadata that is the subject of the current discussion going on.  That identifies where I am, and who owns the network I am broadcasting from.  If I were typing this at the local McDonalds, the local cafe or library I could well be anybody, since the new legislation won't cover them.

The interesting parts of the current debate are similar to the driving laws.  Free wifi spots are rare enough in Australia.  Internet access is increasingly restricted and controlled.  Australia is fast becoming as much of a state under surveillance as the UK.    If this is passed will network providers be held responsible for our content.  Will internet access at our schools, libraries, universities and cafes be removed for fear that they may be implicated in a pedophile ring, or terrorist plot?  

The internet as a tool is a tempting cherry for legislators, but all attempts at restricting the internet are attempts at restricting free speech.  Free speech is the reason the internet has its power, remove the power and remove the benefits.

Further reading:

http://en.rsf.org/australia-australia-12-03-2012,42080.html

Comments

Popular Posts