One month back

I've been back in the UK a month, and the darkness is really much more oppressive than I remembered. 

I can remember getting up and living my whole day without sunlight, unless you physically stopped yourself during the day to find a window and stop and gaze.  I can't remember feeling so claustrophobic about it before.  The line of sight on roads is shorter, there is always a building in your way.  I always seem to be in the forest, or the concrete jungle, and never on the plain. I get home in the evening at 5 in the dark, and feel tired already. 

Having said that the lower temperatures definitely suit me well.  I'm not fully accustomed to feeling cold, but my energy levels are higher.  I am not having to wait to cool down between activities.  To put it bluntly, my bottom is no longer a constant stream of sweat.  My increased energy levels are making me feel healthier physically. I have even debated using a gym.  Partly because I feel like exercise more, but partly because they are bright attractive places.  

In term a of the landscape, much is still the same.  The high street may have a wider plethora of cheap shops, but Regent street has the same array of high end boutiques. Covent Garden's new Apple store is pretty, but feels almost gauche against the backdrop of the flower market. Winter is currently laying it's treacly blanket over most of the countryside.  I'm sure spring will be a delight, when it arrives.  

The one little corner I was most disappointed to see gone was a delightful little pub above the corner of Covent garden.  the cove has gone to be replaced by a patisserie. Much disappointment was had on that discovery.

Comments

Popular Posts