Moving to the UK

The last 7 years have really flown fast.  Australia's exuberant economy and mobile jobs market just doesn't seem to be exuberant or mobile enough to cope with my wanting to move within country, so I looked back at the UK. Getting a job back in the UK proved much easier than I expected. But now the real challenge seems to be actually getting there. 

How did my job search go?  Since starting in August I applied for a few jobs, and the recruiters stepped in, assessed my CV and found me a pretty much perfect job in Surrey.  Within a month of looking, and after 6 unsuccessful months looking in Australia I had netted two interviews. I was about to shell out to take the trip over to attend a couple of interviews, when I landed a job via a phone interview.  

Education is always a little slow to adopt new practices, but really!  Principals your ideal teacher might not live next door.  Open up to skype, or even google hangouts. 

Since then the work has begun to ship ourselves over.  I have cleaned the house to within an inch of my life.  We have put the property on the market, and finished a list a jobs that were on a nice holding list. 

There seems to be two challenges left. Finding a rental, and moving in.  Finding a rental might seem easy, but estate agents seem to be a little lost when dealing with me.  I'm calling up saying I want to spend money, and they are finding ways out of doing the work.  They won't let to people who don't view the property.  Well since it's a over a grand a round trip, that might be a trifle tricky. Surely we can't be the only ones who move these distances...



Comments

Popular Posts