The job search is on

Its been a few years since I have actively searched for a job.  This is the first time that I have searched for a job since 2010 in fact.  My current job I found through the idle process of looking through the local paper and just fancying an advert.  Applying and then getting a quick interview.  I almost fell into my current job.

A few things have changed in the short time I have been in my current job.  The first is Linkedin.  Linkedin was well known in the  UK when I left in 2008, it was a fledgling startup with credibility and nous.  On moving to Australia you take a step back in time a few years.  Linkedin has hit Australia in a fairly big way in the last couple of years.  Everyone knows about it, and a few people even use it.  It seems to be a much bigger website now than when I last looked at it.  So my profile I will update.

So  The second thing that has changed is the need to move.  After a few months thinking about the move back to the UK I am in gear and seeking actively.  My definites are I want to return to the UK.  Not particularly sure where in the UK, anywhere reasonably near a city will do.  Not wishing to appear snobbish, but Australia is kind of depressing.  Everything is just so far away and takes too much effort to do.  Visiting the next town requires planning for an overnight stay, and anything further than that - forget about it!  In the UK everything was much more accessible.  I always had access to everything, the cities had much better public transport (except Milton Keynes), and the countryside had a great system of walkways that meant that you could enjoy a walk to the next town if you had time not to drive.

When - Well the new year would be a great time to do the move.  The third thing that has changed is that I have a family in tow.  A child, a wife and a dog.  I can move first, or we can move together - To be honest I'm not really sure which is the best option.  Moving first means I will have a few months without my family, but it means we can sell the house whilst moving into the next house at the same time. After the new year school jobs generally start in April or September.  I am going to have to think carefully if I want to stay in the education sector - I enjoy the work.  However the sector can be a little inflexible. Very long winded application processes, Long notice periods, but without the traditional job security.  Trust me, if I apply for your school I want the job.

Can I move first then apply for a job?  Well the government says no.  I need to satisfy the financial requirements to bring my wife across.  This means that the job must come first.

So far this year I have made a few applications to schools to take on roles similar to what I would apply for here.  I am a head of Mathematics in a medium sized school, so I am looking to apply for the same or a little better.  Either head of maths (assistant principal level) in larger schools, or deputy Principal roles.  I have a difference skill set to most applicants but nothing too far off centre.  So far nothing seems to be coming back positive.  Not even an offer for interview.  My CV is certainly better than the last time I was in the UK.  I wonder of my antipodean address is putting future employers off?

This week however I have brushed up my profile in Linkedin, and cast my net wider.  I have many skills and experiences outside education.  If the education market does not want my experience then there must be some others that do.  I have some experience in telecommunications and in the military.  I can program to a reasonable level, and enjoy doing this.  I can manage staff and develop their skills in a wide generic area.  I suspect that I would also make a good business analyst,  I have strong analytical and presentational skills.

Hopefully I should see the Uk soon


Comments

Popular Posts