Bluetooth Headphones are awesome

I've been quite a fan of Bluetooth for headphones for a while now, My wife bought me an awesome set from Kmart in Australia a few years back, and they serve me as my office set now, as they are starting to show their age.

Whilst purists may point out that you get a much better sound quality through wired headphones. I would point out that most of the time they are talking about headphones in the higher price brackets, which don't always agree with general usage. Unless one is listening to one's tunes in bed avoiding the displeasure of one's partner, life gets in the way of the quality anyway.

The excellent sound quality you get through decent wired headphones is only as good as the cable, and the cable rarely withstands life. Especially when walking around the office, or going for a run.  Cables get in the way of the running rhythm, and plugs have a tendency to loosen over time giving that scratchy sound.

Most of the time that I am listening to music using headphones I enjoy the freedom offered by Bluetooth.  In the office, I can move around my desk without fear of hitting the cord and propelling my iPad across the room.  Whilst walking and running I don't have to worry about routing the cord away from my elbows.  Whilst in bed, If I fall asleep I don't wake up with the cord around my neck.



I have recently purchased the Phillips Flyte ultralight headphones. See above link.  These are a great headphone for moving around, super lightweight for the commute they are very comfortable.  The main drawback is that the microphone is often a bit fuzzy, and a voice call is often difficult.  The microphone is really good for working with Siri however.  The lack of noise cancellation and general lightness makes them particularly good for situations where you still need to be aware of the sounds of the surroundings.  One can still hear vehicle sounds, and people starting conversations.


The second pair I have purchased recently is the Mixcder E7 active noise canceling headphones.  These are bulkier, and not so good for moving around whilst listening to stuff, but far superior where it comes to office or home headphones.  The microphone is good enough to make a voice call well as well as working with Siri.  The noise canceling aspect is not perfect but does a better job than merely having the headphones on.  Interestingly the noise canceling part works without having to play music. Having an audio cable (3.5mm jack) option gives a useful ability to convert to wired headphones where required, although I have to confess that I find the improvement in sound quality is minimal.

A two headphone solution works well for me, the lightweight comfort beats an in-ear solution whilst walking around town, or on the train. having a single play pause button on the headphones allows one to catch the train announcements, whilst the bulkier headphones give better isolation from a busy office, and better sound but are not comfortable to walk with.

Comments

Popular Posts